[Share] Accidentally destroyed production database on first day of a job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgilank

Expert 1.0
Verified Provider
Ada yang shared di grup FB, dan ngelink ke reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerqu...ccidentally_destroyed_production_database_on/

Mungkin ada yg tidak bisa buka reddit. saya kopas ke sini.

Accidentally destroyed production database on first day of a job, and was told to leave, on top of this i was told by the CTO that they need to get legal involved, how screwed am i?

Today was my first day on the job as a Junior Software Developer and was my first non-internship position after university. Unfortunately i screwed up badly.

I was basically given a document detailing how to setup my local development environment. Which involves run a small script to create my own personal DB instance from some test data. After running the command i was supposed to copy the database url/password/username outputted by the command and configure my dev environment to point to that database. Unfortunately instead of copying the values outputted by the tool, i instead for whatever reason used the values the document had.

Unfortunately apparently those values were actually for the production database (why they are documented in the dev setup guide i have no idea). Then from my understanding that the tests add fake data, and clear existing data between test runs which basically cleared all the data from the production database. Honestly i had no idea what i did and it wasn't about 30 or so minutes after did someone actually figure out/realize what i did.

While what i had done was sinking in. The CTO told me to leave and never come back. He also informed me that apparently legal would need to get involved due to severity of the data loss. I basically offered and pleaded to let me help in someway to redeem my self and i was told that i "completely fucked everything up".

So i left. I kept an eye on slack, and from what i can tell the backups were not restoring and it seemed like the entire dev team was on full on panic mode. I sent a slack message to our CTO explaining my screw up. Only to have my slack account immediately disabled not long after sending the message.

I haven't heard from HR, or anything and i am panicking to high heavens. I just moved across the country for this job, is there anything i can even remotely do to redeem my self in this situation? Can i possibly be sued for this? Should i contact HR directly? I am really confused, and terrified.

EDIT Just to make it even more embarrassing, i just realized that i took the laptop i was issued home with me (i have no idea why i did this at all).

EDIT 2 I just woke up, after deciding to drown my sorrows and i am shocked by the number of responses, well wishes and other things. Will do my best to sort through everything.

====

TL;DR

Jadi si TS di reddit ini freshgrad yang baru masuk kerja, sebagai developer, diberikan dokumen yang berisi cara untuk setup lokal development. Ketika si TS memasukan value2 di dokumen tersebut, malah menghapus database yang ada di server produksi.

CTO perusahaannya pun memecatnya dan mau membawa ke ranah hukum.

Bagaimana menurut anda? CTO/perusahaan VS freshgrad

dhyhost

Web Hosting Service
The Warrior
Verified Provider
masa iya nda punya backupnya,
kalau emg begitu harusnya yang memberikan panduan yg salah, jika memang panduan yg diberikannya yg salah...
tp apa daya, kalau sudah dibawa ke ranah hukum sudah lain cerita, namanya juga hukum manusia pasti yg lemah yg bersalah :D

GPLHosting

Hosting Guru
Itu kan baru cerita dari sisi Fresh Grad-nya. Pengakuannya seperti itu, belum tentu juga benar dari sisi CTO-nya.
Harus .. Cover both story, biar berimbang.

anyway, menurut saya (kalau memang benar kejadiannya spt itu), fresh grad harus pintar dikit. Panduannya di copy, jadi alat bukti, bila memang benar akan dibawa ke ranah hukum.

GPLHosting

Hosting Guru
@GPLHosting setuju ini. Jadi nanti hati2 misalnya berikan akses ke tim apabila kita belum tahu kapasitasnya.
takutnya

Tadi sih saya masuk folder menjalankan itu, tapi skr kok kepencetnya waktu di posisi root.

Kayaknya pengalaman pribadi ya pak Hadi ? :D
xixixi ...

Yg rm -rf ... banyak tuh... (saya jg pernah ngalamin) :D

komputerserver

Poster 2.0
Berdasarkan pengalaman, kalau utk development hanya source code saja yang di share, termasuk semisal migration file utk generate db ( laravel punya ) jadi ujung2 nya development pake DB versi lokal juga, kalau yg di online biasanya tahapan deployment dan ada supervisi nya, berabe juga kalau langsung tembak di online.. heehe.. cmn seharusnya ada backup nya in case utk hal2 seperti ini..

Status
Not open for further replies.